Entry #3: Mint (Redacted)



I never eat breakfast in the morning, but when I do, I can never determine if I am supposed to brush my teeth before or after. If you brush before then you get the taste of the toothpaste while eating your breakfast, but if you brush them after you get the same disgusting feeling, but then you have food chunks stuck in your teeth. Were not even going to start about drinking orange juice and having a toothpaste aftertaste in your mouth. Gross! Another thing is chewing gum while drinking cold refreshing water. Now I've done that before and it feels like your mouth jumps into a cold pool in A. The sensation and tingly feeling of the gum and cold water is intense, yet also refreshing.



One day before work, I forgot to brush my teeth because I was running late. My tongue was dry and rough with the aftertaste of my lunch. I didn't have any gum or breath refreshers in my car. I opened my glove box, it only had a few papers in it, and I opened my center console and it was filthy and packed to the brim with napkins, extra hair ties, a perfume bottle, lip glosses, and extra change, but I found what I desired. 


I grabbed the bottle and shook it to see if there was anything left. It sounded about half full as the contents jiggled around. The crisp sound of the bottle opening transported the air around me. The air conditioning in my car carried around the refreshing scent and filled my lungs with desire for the clean taste. I shook the bottle until two small circular capsules fell out. I stared at them in my palms, one laying atop the other, so I separated and inspected them each. 



They were both the same size and color. Both a beautiful creamy white with a hint of blue. Once they were sitting in my palm, the scent became powerful. My eyes teared up at the strength of only two. What would happen if someone released the whole bottle? I set the bottle down, the remaining contents clacked together, and ate the first one. 


My mouth crunched down on the hard outer shell and released the softer middle. The more I crushed it, the more chewy the treat became. My breath became fresh and a tingly sensation engrossed my mouth. My combating senses of smell and taste became sharp at how strong it was. It was significantly strong, I choked on the freshness. It reminded me of my childhood when I would go to the doctor's office or dread going to the dentist. They were always so clean feeling and a little too comfortable. This was clean and uncomfortable.



Just like that it was gone. The aftertaste was dull but comfortable. I enjoyed it then, but realized that the good breath didn't stay long so I took the second one in my palm and popped it into my mouth. That was a mistake. It hurt my jaw from chewing and my nose from smelling the cleanliness. Now my senses were going through this feeling not once, but twice. It felt like that scene from ratatouille where Remy eats the cheese and strawberry. You could see the smell of the two separate capsules flowing through the air, and once they connected, it was Armageddon. I knew water wouldn't help so I just sat there until the rest of it dissolved as well. I walked into work with fresh breathe and my senses alert.


I still do eat them every now and again, but only if I am feeling brave or in case of emergencies. Emergencies such as forgetting to brush my teeth. Maybe I won't eat breakfast in the morning so I don't have to go through the hassle of brushing my teeth or going through another episode with the breath refreshers in my car. Seriously though, brush your teeth, it's good for your health and breath! 




Comments